Friday, April 17, 2009

40 Dei - Friday 17 April

Alpha Blondy played for 2 hours starting at 10.30!!but the damage was done to several cast members. I feel especially bitter towards one or two who turned up an hour late. We had compromised on our technical rehearsal the day before to accommodate them but they could not return the favour. Another person is constantly turning up late now. I say before we start the run through that you now also have to overcome my mood. ‘You expect me to watch it positively when I’ve just spent one hour worrying where people are?’ The first half was good..ish and the second half a pile of rubbish. I don’t do notes but try the short quiet voiced cliché this time. ‘When you are 65 will you look back and say I’m glad I stayed out all night/didn’t check the script/drank kava till dawn/couldn’t be bothered to get to work on time/didn’t warm up/didn’t focus and produced an average play or.. I made this my top priority for a couple of months and produced a show the like of which Vanuatu had never seen?’ From my great age it just makes me angry to see this very gifted group just piss it away. But then again it is also an indictment of me that I cannot instill this in the cast. Or is it because I have the luxury of making it my main focus for various reasons which is harder for the group? Whatever, I am filled with a numbness now. This won’t be as good as I thought it might have been….but then it never is, is it? The production you see in your head is never quite fulfilled.

One last run through on Monday and then we go to previews for family of cast and other wan smolbag staff families.

No comments:

Post a Comment