Wednesday, April 29, 2009

40 Dei - 29 April opening night


Needn’t have worried. The place was full which means there’ll probably be ugly scenes on Friday and Saturday with people being turned away; will probably have to switch to pre sale. And it was one of the best nights in our history. So many of the cast with heavy colds too which made it even more extraordinary. Several of the cast gave their best ever performance. One mishap. Vero had got this new costume for her little cameo as the devil. I cringed when I saw it - black hood and cape. Like something out of Transylvania. When she came on stage though, complete with dark lipstick it looked fantastic. She climbed up on the stacked up benches for the verse in the song where she tempts Jesus to jump from a high place. She looked amazing up there. Jesus pushes her off ....and she lands and twists her knee and hobbles off. Such a shame , ‘cos she’d had a brilliant idea with the costume. Jesus, played by a woman is, naturally, dressed all in white. Devil black . Jesus white. Ngugi wa Thiongo and Frantz Fanon would kill me. All the actors idea though.

Came to work this morning and within 20 minutes I fielded two calls asking for tickets. OK so doesnt sound a lot but quite an unusual event here at WSB for someone to ring in about a show. So i guess that's it, folks, I have fulfilled my mandate and done a blog up to opening night!

I suppose it makes up for the diary I stopped keeping several years ago. I may keep it up for interesting events during the run and the international theatre Festival coming up in June. Then start a new one as we go into rehearsals for Love Patrol 3, our TV series.

No comments:

Post a Comment