Tuesday, April 28, 2009

40 Dei - 28 April

Having not been nervous, or especially so, for any of the previews, I am desolidfying as assorted High Commissioners, MPs, Donors and NGO partners file into the theatre. In the end, to my shame, I huddle in a corner of the lighting box peeking from time to time over Beru’s shoulder at the action. Why can I not take these openings? My claim is that having been an actor in my youth this is the worst moment for a director. At least as an actor you have an outlet for your adrenalin.

Everything technical that could go wrong did - washing line got stuck on stage, slight feedback from the mikes, Albert dropped his whisky bottle so there was a big puddle of cold tea on the floor for the last 20 minutes.. Actors skipped the odd speech. Sadly for Donald this jumped over his big speech in the prison scene but he took it very well and the audience….loved it! Met someone in the store today who said he’d planned to leave at the interval but stayed on. I told him public shows started tonight and he got on the mobile to his boss to tell him to go.

Not sure on our publicity for tonight onwards. Posters go up and seem to get taken down quite quickly. Apparently TV has been running out of snyc for a week or so, so the TV ad is probably unintelligible!

No comments:

Post a Comment